Instances of charities in the UK being run fraudulently, not spending donations on the causes they were given for, or whose costs account for an unacceptably high proportion of their income, are unusual and the sectors regulatory authority, the Charity Commission, closely monitors charities for abuses.
The trustees of a grant making charity are responsible for ensuring that the donations they make are given to bona fide charities and that they are used for the purposes for which they were given. Just as in the commercial world, caveat emptor applies, but the research can be time consuming and seem unnecessary. However, it must be done as if wrongdoing does take place, trustees may be penalised.
ALAN CURTIS WILL WORK WITH YOU TO
- Uncover the financial history and current finances of charities you wish to support
- Understand and agree with recipient charities precisely what it is that you are funding
- Monitor funded projects on an ongoing basis to ensure that donations are being used for the purposes intended
- Carrying out due diligence on applicant charities
- Visiting Charities to meet senior executives and project leaders
- Advising trustees on integrity of applicant charities
- Independent review of project pitches and likely impact
- Ongoing monitoring or supervision of adopted projects and periodic reports to trustees on progress
- Prepare independent reports on the impact of donations
‘Please call me on 07801 695400 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to have an initial conversation about this or any of the other services I can provide’